1 lb. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, grated
1 tsp round allspice
pinch of grated nutmeg
1/3 cup Arborio rice
1/2 (to 2/3 cup) Arborio rice for the soup
2 tsp. Vegeta Seasoning (vegetable seasoning)
1 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
2 quarts (6 cups) of good chicken stock
juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp. of flour
- Mix your ground beef, onion, egg, 1/3 cup of rice, spices, salt & pepper in a large bowl. Form the entire mixture into meatballs.
- Bring your stock to boil in a large pot. Drop your meatballs and the 1/2 cup rice into the stock and bring back to a boil. Once you have a boil, reduce to a simmer (medium) with a just closed lid and cook for about 20 minutes. Take off the heat.
- In a small bowl, add your flour and some water and beat until the flour has dissolved to make a slurry.
- Add the flour slurry to a large bowl with the eggs and lemon juice and whisk or use an immersion hand-blender until just frothy.
- Take a ladle of stock from your pot and slowly add it to your egg/lemon mixture while whisking. Slowly add another 2 to 3 ladles of stock into the egg/lemon mixture. You’ve now tempered your your hot liquid and you’ve successfully made an Avgolemono.
- Slowly add your egg/lemon mixture back into your pot of soup and simultaneously keep on stirring as you’re pouring.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and reserve for five minutes. Serve with a garnish of parsley or dill, cracked black pepper and some good bread.