(serves 4 to 6)
24 medium sized shrimp, deveined with tails attached
3 Tbsp. olive oil
zest of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, finely minced
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
pinch of cayenne
approx. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg + splash of milk, beaten with a fork
8 oz./1 cup of Kataifi pastry
Sunflower oil for frying
- Cut off approx. a handful of the frozen kataifi from the package (re-seal and place back in freezer) and pull apart and crumble with your hands. You should have enough to fill 1 cup. Spread the kataifi out on a tray and allow to dry for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the shrimp into a bowl with the olive oil, zest, garlic, pepper and cayenne and toss well. Set aside.
- Prepare your dipping station: 1 bowl with all purpose flour, another with the eggwash and a third bowl with the kataifi and a large platter to place shrimp on.
- Once the kataifi is dry to the touch, you can begin assembly: dredge shrimp in flour, coat in eggwash then cover with kataifi then reserve on a platter.
- Pour enough oil into a large, deep pot/to come up about 1 1/2 inches and heat to 375F.
- Carefully place your shrimp in the hot oil and fry for 1 1/2 minutes or until golden, reserve on paper-lined platter. Fry in batches.
- Serve with a side of Louis sauce or make a sauce with honey, lemon or lime, chilli sauce, splash of Ouzo. Lemon or lime wedges for squeezin’.