2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cups fresh spinach, blanched, drained of excess water and chopped
4-5 scallions, ends trimmed and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 teaspoon dried oregano
8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed and at room temperature
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups chopped cooked lamb meat
4 (1/4 inch) slices ripe medium tomato
4 (1/4 inch) slices of Kefalotyri or Romano cheese
4 (1/4 inch) slices bell pepper, stemmed and seeded
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add spinach, scallions and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add wine and cook for 2-3 minutes to reduce the wine. Season with salt and pepper. Add dill and oregano, take off the heat and reserve.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Place phyllo on a clean work surface and cover sheets with a lightly damp tea towel to keep them from drying. Take a sheet, set it on the work surface and brush it with butter. Take a second sheet, place it on top of the first sheet and brush with butter.
- Place 1/4 of the lamb on the phyllo about 5 inches from the bottom and leave 2 inches on the left and right side. Top lamb with 1/4 of the spinach filling, a slice of tomato, a slice of cheese and a slice of red pepper. Fold the bottom 5 inches of phyllo over the filling, and then fold in the left and right sides. Next, roll up the phyllo to make a bundle. Place bundle, seam side down on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat this 3 more times.
- Brush the tops of the bundles with butter and bake on the middle rack for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden.
- Serve immediately or warm.