3 medium-sized onions, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 carrot, grated
1 can of plum tomatoes, pureed
3 bay leaves
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 kg. lean ground beef
1 Tbsp. of dried Greek oregano
salt and pepper to taste
a pinch of cinnamon
grated Kefalotyri cheese (or Romano)
1. In a large skillet, add your olive oil and bring up to a medium-high heat. Add your onions and carrot and when they start to sizzle, lower to medium-low and saute for about 10 minutes to soften (not brown).
2. Add your ground beef, garlic, bay leaves and turn the heat to high and stir the contents to brown the meat.
3. As soon as your meat has browned and most of the liquid is gone, add your wine and reduce until the liquid is almost gone.
4. Add your tomato sauce, oregano, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer the sauce (uncovered for about 30-40 minutes or until it becomes thick).
5. Take off the heat, add a pinch of cinnamon.
6. Serve with your favourite pasta.
7. Grate lots of Kefalotyri cheese on top.