(requires a 9-inch diameter pie dish)
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 cup of unsalted cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
3-5 Tbsp. of cold water
1 tsp. of lemon juice
8-10 apples (depending how deep your dish is), peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup cold butter
Pre-heated 350F oven
• Combine flour and salt. Cut in butter using your hands or a pastry cutter until mixture resembles small peas. Sprinkle over water and lemon juice and gather flour into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Unwrap and place on a floured board. Roll out to desired size. Makes enough for one 9 or 10-inch single crust pie.
• Carefully transfer your pie crust over your baking dish and press the crust down on the and along the perimeter of the baking dish. Using your rolling pin, roll over the rim of the pie to trim-off excess pastry. You may use a fork to crimp the edge of your pie.
• Peel the apples, cored and thinly slice. Toss in some lemon juice and place in the pie dish to see if you have enough apples to fill the dish and prepare more apples if needed. Empty the apples into a bowl and add the brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, flour and toss with your hands. Place back into your pie dish.
• In the meantime, pre-heat your oven to 350F and set the rack to the middle position. To make the crumble, add all the ingredients except for the butter into your food processor and pulse until blended. Now add the cold butter and pulse again until the butter is broken-up in the flour into pea-sized pieces. Empty the topping mixture over your apples and spread evenly with your hands.
• Place in your pre-heated oven for approx. 1 hour or until the top is golden-brown, crisp and slightly bubbly. Insert a knife into the pie to ensure the apples are cooked and there is no resistance. Allow the pie to cool for 20 minutes, serve warm with homemade vanilla ice cream.