1 kg. whole whiting (hake), scaled and gutted or fish fillets (salt cod, sole, grouper, halibut)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil + 1/3 cup for finishing
9-10 cloves of garlic, sliced
4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 /2 inch thick rounds
1/4 chopped fresh chives or parsley
sea salt and lots of fresh ground pepper
- Rinse and patdry your fish, season with salt and pepper.
- In a heavybottomed skillet, add olive oil, potatoes. salt, pepper and a 2 cups of hot water. Cover and simmer for about 8-9 minutes.
- Take the lid off your pan, place the the fish on top of the potatoes, add lemon juice and enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the fish. Season again with some salt and pepper and cover. Simmer on medium low for about 10-12 minutes.
- Uncover and if the sauce is runny, simmer uncovered for a few minutes. If too thick, add 1/2 cup hot water and swirl the pan.
- Taste sauce, add salt and pepper, more lemon juice if needed. Cover, take off the heat and allow to rest 2 minutes.
- Carefully lift fish and transfer to a platter and arrange potatoes around the fish and pour pan sauce (and garlic) over fish and potatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil, garnish with chopped chives/scallions or parsley and serve with crusty bread.