4 medium-sized cuttlefish or equal sized squid, innards removed and rinsed
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. of tomato paste
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup hot stock (vegetable or seafood)
For the Tomato Caper Sauce
4-5 Tesoro or plum tomatoes
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp. of capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley
2 tsp. dried Greek oregano
1/2 cup dry white wine
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 cup cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
extra-virgin olive oil for finishing
1. Drizzle your cuttlefish well with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in a deep baking dish that just fits the cuttlefish. Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
2. Add the onions, bay leaf, tomato paste, wine and stock in the baking dish, season with salt and pepper and place the cuttlefish in the liquid (tubes and tentacles).
3. Cover with foil and place in your preheated oven for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, In a food processor, add the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, garlic, capers and wine and pulse until the mixture is blended but some pieces of tomato remain. Allow the mixture to marry for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes, take the cuttlefish out of the oven and increase the heat to 400F. Uncover and spoon the tomato caper mixture on each cuttlefish, top with breadcrumbs and drizzle with olive oil.
5. Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until breadcrumb topping is golden. Remove from the oven, serve with roast potatoes and lots of good homemade bread.