1 large cabbage
1 1/2 cups of Arborio rice (
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 medium onions, finely diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup tomato puree
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 teaspoons of salt
1 cup chopped fresh dill
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 Tablespoons of flour + 2 tablespoons. of water
Juice of 2 lemons
3 large eggs
1. Bring a large saucepan to medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onions and garlic. Simmer to soften the onions for about 10 minutes. Take the saucepan off the heat and add your tomato puree, ground beef, ground pork, rice, parsley, dill, salt and pepper and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
2. Take a cabbage leaf and place a heaping tablespoon of the meat mixture near the bottom of the leaf. Fold the two ends of the leaf inwards and roll it up into a long narrow shape. (do not roll too tightly as the rice will expand and may break your leaves) Place some spare cabbage leaves on the bottom of your roasting pan and start placing the stuffed cabbage leaves in concentric circles.
3. Place some more loose cabbage leaves over the stuffed cabbage and you may even place a heavy plate on top to prevent them from breaking open.
1. Mix your flour and water until dissolved. Now add your lemon juice and whisk in. Now add your eggs into the lemon mixture and whisk until frothy.
2. Take a ladle of your cabbage roll stock (hot) and slowly (SLOWLY) pour into the bowl with your egg/lemon mixture. Add 2 more ladles of stock (slowly) while whisking. Adjust seasoning and add salt to taste.
3. Pour the Avgolemono Sauce over all the cabbage rolls and holding on to the handles of the roasting pan, gently shake it back & forth to thoroughly blend the Avgolemono Sauce with the remaining stock in the cabbage rolls. Serve warm.