- (makes 12)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups cold buttermilk*
- pre-heated 450F oven
- (optional) 1/2 cup melted butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 400F. Place a piece of parchment paper on baking sheet.
- For the biscuit dough, add your flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and stir with a fork to combine.
- Add the butter and blend with a pastry cutter. Add the buttermilk while mixing with a fork until just blended.
- Sprinkle some flour on your work surface and empty your dough on top. Gather with your hands and knead until the dough just comes together as a ball.
- Using your rolling pin, roll out the dough to a about 1 inch thick. Use a 2 3/4 ” biscuit cutter (or similar sized cup), flour it and cut out your biscuits and place on your baking sheet a half-inch apart.
- Gather up your dough, roll out again and cut out more biscuits. Repeat until you’ve made biscuits out of all your dough.
- Place your tray of biscuits on the upper middle rack and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Brush tops with melted butter, serve warm.
*Make your own buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp. of white vinegar with milk in a bowl, let stand for 15 minutes.
**Make them cheese biscuits by adding 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar after cutting the butter into the dough