1 1/2 tsp. of active dry yeast
1 Tbsp. of honey
1 1/2 cup of tepid (warm) water
1 tsp. of fine sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. of Petimezi (grape molasses) dilluted in 1 cup of water (or just water if you can’t find Petimezi)
1 cup of sesame seeds
Pre-heated 450F oven
Baking tray filled with hot water
1. In a large bowl, add your dry yeast, honey and 1/2 cup of tepid water. Stir with a spoon and wait 10 minutes for the yeast to active.
2. Add the sea salt, olive oil, the remaining 1 cup of tepid water and 1 cup of flour at a time, all the while mixing the dough with your hands. Continue to add flour while mixing with your hands. You will need anywhere from a total of 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 flour or until the dough is no longer sticky/tacky.
3. Knead the dough for 10 minutes and then place in a bowl, rub the dough ball with a little oil and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rest in a warm, draft-free part of your kitchen and rise until the doubles in size (in about an hour).
4. Punch the dough down with your fist and turn the dough onto your baking surface. Cut the dough into pieces that will fit in the palm of your hand.
5. Roll out eat piece of dough into the shape of a rope with your hands. If merely making a round Koulouri, roll out each piece of dough to about 8 inches in length. Form a circle and join the ends by pinching them together. If you wish to make the the braiding varietyy of Koulouri, roll out the dough to a length if 14 inches then lift up the dough with the two even ends hanging down. Now twist the bottom and top with your two hands to form the braid.
6. Repeat forming your Koulouria and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use one hand to dip the Koulouria in water (and Petimezi) and use the other hand to dip them in the tray with sesame seeds. Place the sesame-coated Koulouria back on your baking sheets.
7. When your oven has reached a temperature of 450F, place a tray with hot water on the upper or lower rack and place the baking tray on the middle rack. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until just golden.
8. Remove the Koulouria from the baking trays and allow to cool a bit a cooling rack. Eat warm or room temperature with cheese, marmalade or honey.