1 pork butt (boneless), approx. 3lbs.
2-3 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. sweet paprika
1 Tbsp. dried Greek oregano
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
warm pita bread
sliced red onions
sliced ripe tomatoes
dried Greek oregano
- Combine salt, sugar, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, thyme and rub all over the meat. Place in a container, cover and refrigerate for a minimum 4 hours to overnight.
- The next day, remove your pork butt from the fridge and pre-heat your oven to 325F. Place a roasting pan/Dutch oven large enough to contain your pork on your stove-top over high heat, add a 2 Tbsp. olive oil and sear your meat on all sides until browned all’round.
- Cover and place in your pre-heated oven for 2 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 160F. Remove from the oven and keep covered, allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Break up the meat with your fingers into bite-sized pieces and taste and adjust seasoning of meat.
- Pre-heat the broiler in your oven, place some pork gyro meat on a baking sheet, spread out. Broil until the meat just begins to crisp, remove from the oven.
- Divide and place your meat on the pita bread, add a good dollop of Tzatziki, add tomatoes, onions and french fries, wrap up and serve. Alternately, serve on a platter as a Gyro dinner with pita bread on the side.
- Serve with a cold Fix Beer or Kechri retsina