approx. 1 1/2 kg. of lamb shoulder and loin chops
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, passed through a box grater
10-12 cloves of garlic, minced
zest of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. Dijon style mustard
10 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 tsp. dried Greek oregano
4 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
For the potatoes
approx. 12 Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 cup hot chicken stock
2 1/2 tsp. sea salt
3/4 tsp. ground pepper
juice of 1 lemon
- Add all the marinade ingredients into a deep roasting pan and mix with a spoon. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add your lamb and cover, then place in the fridge for 6 -12 hours.
- When ready to roast your lamb and potatoes, take the meat out of the fridge and transfer the meat to tray (temporarily). Add the potatoes into the roasting pan along with the salt, pepper, stock and lemon juice and toss to incorporate.
- Now place the lamb (plus marinade) on top of the potatoes and pre-heat your oven to 400F (middle rack).
- Roast uncovered for 30 minutes then take out of the oven and flip your pieces of lamb and place in the oven for another 30 minutes. Roast for additional time if your potatoes need more cooking time.
- Remove from the oven, divide and serve roast lamb and potatoes, spooning pan juices over the lamb.
- Serve with an Alpha Estate Pinot Noir.