Representatives from Greece on behalf of the Organization ELGO – DEMETER are visiting Toronto for two weeks, and are giving you the opportunity to try, as well as purchase authentic PDO certified Feta cheese from Greece.
On Wednesday, April 10, at Soula’s Restaurant on the Danforth, they hosted a private meeting with the media to present thier authentic PDO Feta and treat media representatives to an inspirational Feta based meal.
If you are out doing your groceries in Toronto from April 10th – 19th, don’t miss the chance to taste some authentic Greek feta at Sobeys, Loblaws or Pusat eri’s Fine Foods.
Try out the special feta-based menu offered in one of these restaurants: Colossus Greek Taverna, Mamakas Taverna, Mezes, Floga Toronto, Penelope Restaurant, Pantheon Restaurant, Arkadia House, Soula’s Modern Greek Cuisine, Santorini Restaurant, and Volos Feta Feta is a white brined cheesethat is traditionally produced in Greece from sheep’s milk, or a mixture of sheep and up to 30% goat’s milk and is recognized as a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) product.
It is Greece’s flagship national product, as it reflects the country’s dietary tradition and gastronomy being directly related to Greek history and customs. The history of Feta According to ancient Greek mythology, the Cyclops Polyphemus, son of Poseidon god of the sea, was the first cheese manufacturer and in particular feta in the world. While carrying the milk he had collected from his sheep in his cave every day, he noticed that after a few days’ time the milk would thicken, taking a solid, tasty and edible form. Feta has been a basic component of the ancient Greeks’ diet. Its special characteristics, that have remained intact through time, were passed down from generation to generation, making feta a symbol of local cultural heritage and synonymous of the Mediterranean diet. How is Feta PDO made Feta PDO is made of fresh or pasteurized sheep’s milk or a mixture of sheep and up to 30% goat’s milk. Following are the stages of milk curding, straining, salting, after which feta is placed in wooden barrels or special metallic tins filled with brine, where it is left to mature for a period of at least two months. During maturation period, Feta acquires its unique aromas and distinctive flavor variations: hard or soft, at times salty, peppery or spicy. Nutritional value of Feta Feta PDO is the ideal gustatory suggestion for your cooking creations, while, at the same time, by introducing it to your daily diet you can take advantage of the high nutritional benefits that consumption of dairy products has to offer within a balanced diet, as they are rich in calcium and proteins. Feta also contains phosphorus, vitamin A and B complex vitamins.
• The production of Feta PDO follows the strict European quality and safety specifications under which a product can be certified as PDO.
• Feta PDO is produced in the geographical area of mainland Greece and the islands of Lesvos, Limnos and Agios Efstratios.
• The milk comes from sheep and goat breeds that graze freely in specific geographical areas in Greece, which stand out for their rich biodiversity and special soil and weather conditions.
• No powdered milk, colorants or preservatives are used for the production of Feta PDO which is free of antibiotic substances as well.
• The milk, in combination with the production and maturation process that must last for at least 2 months, give Feta PDO a unique taste, with exquisite characteristics such as full flavor, rich aromas, white coloring and a consistent but wonderfully soft structure. Feta PDO constitutes a unique authentic cheese that must be available to all consumers!
• Feta is a cheese of high nutritional value relatively low in fat and calories. It also contains B complex vitamins and calcium.
• In order for a cheese to be registered as Feta PDO, it must be certified as such by ELGO – DEMETER (www.elgo. gr), which is the national certification agency. This certification ensures that all product specifications are being met during the entire production process and guarantees to consumers that Feta PDO they are enjoying is a completely safe, high quality product. Feta, a key element of the Mediterranean diet Feta PDO plays a key role in the Mediterranean diet, the dietary model suggested by numerous nutritionists in order to maintain good health and achieve long life expectancy. The Mediterranean diet is based on high consumption of natural foods such as vegetables, fruits, olive oil and as for dairy products mostly Feta cheese. Feta PDO is a cheese of rich taste that one must enjoy. Plain or grilled, fried or cooked it can bring another dimension to all your recipes! In salads or in sandwiches, in recipes au gratin with potatoes or pasta, in pizzas, crumbled in omelets, in refreshing dips, in traditional pies or tarts, combined with fruits like watermelon, Feta PDO is the kind of cheese that you can enjoy as an appetizer, as part of the main course andeven as a dessert!
d with aid from the European Union