(makes approx. 20)
For the dough
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup of plain yogurt
1 tsp. of salt
3 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
(or 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 Tbsp. of baking powder)
1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
1 cup fresh myzithra (ricotta) cheese
1/4 cup grated Graviera (or Gruyere) cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 tsp. of finely chopped fresh mint
1 egg yolks mixed with a some cream
Pre-heated 350F oven (middle rack)
1. In one bowl, sift the self-raising flour (or all-purpose flour + 1 Tbsp. of baking powder) and the salt. Set aside. In another bowl. add the egg, olive oil and yogurt and mix with a whisk until thoroughly amalgamated. Now gradually add the flour into your wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Begin kneading the dough with your hands when almost all the flour has been added to your wet ingredients. Your dough should be smooth, pliable and only stick a little bit. Cover with plastic wrap and reserve.
2. Pre-heat your oven. In another bowl, add the egg, crumbled Feta, ricotta and grated Graviera cheeses. Add the nutmeg, fresh ground pepper and finely chopped mint and now mash and mix with a spoon.
3. Place your dough on your work surface and roll it out into a long thin log. Cut the dough into pieces the approximate size of a small egg. Roll into a ball and flatten in the palm of your hands. Now place the flattened dough on your work surface and continue to flatten the dough with the palm of your hand until you have a round, thin disc. Place a tsp. of the filling in the middle of the dough and fold over to form a half-moon shape. Pinch the dough to seal the pie and then crimp the rounded side with a fork. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat until dough and filling are used up.
4. In a bowl, beat the yolks with a couple of Tbsp. of cream and then brush the tops of your cheese pies. Sprinkle the tops of the pies with sesame seeds and place in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
5. You may store the Tyropitakia in a container for up to 5 days. Serve as a snack or buffet offering.